Tuesday, November 17, 2009

She said "I've gotta be honest, You're wasting your time if you're stickin' round here..."

I always knew that music was a huge part of my life from the day I was born. But I never knew that it would have the impact on me that it has had...

"If you want more love, why don't you say so?"

I've known for a long time that how I react to certain situations is different than others. That's a fact of life- everyone is different. But, I never thought that 98% of the time, the only way for me to express myself would be through someone elses music. I can listen to a song and it will be EXACTLY how I feel and the only way I know to express myself... but the person I am trying to get the point across to, just doesn't get it. And that is what I don't get- "How could this not make sense to you?"

"I don't care if we don't sleep at all tonight, Let's just fix this whole thing now. I swear to God We're gonna get it right, If you'de lay your weapons down."

I think this thought process comes from seeing "Pirate Radio" at the movies last night, and John Mayer's new cd coming out today. Music speaks to different people in different ways- so don't criticize music. If you don't like, just say it's not your style. Country music is not my style... but I can edure it. I dated a guy that opened me up tp the world of blues music. That is one of the best things that has ever happened to me. I learned that everyones music- from John Mayer, to Keith Urban, to Ratatat, to Taylor Swift, to Bob Marley, to Elton John (I could go on and on)- it all came from somewhere. Sure, you have those that broke through the music mold and tried something new and changed the world of music as we know it- but all music is influenced by other music. Don't just listen to a song or an artist and be happy with it- find out where it came from. You are cheating yourself if you don't. That's one of the most important lessons I have learned.

I can't possibly listen to a song anymore and immediatley dislike it. It's such a long thought process that happens.

This music is the heart of this person... It's their thoughts, their feelings, what they deal with in everyday life. It makes you realize that these are real people and not super mega rockstars that appear to be on a whole other wavelength- they're the same as us.

More often than not, I listen to a song and wonder if the artist probed inside my brain and decided to write a song on exactly how I think and feel, and I know a lot of people that feel the same way. You cannot over-analyze music- you take it for what it is. You can't sit and wonder "Who is this written for, who is this written about?" Just be thankful that it was even written at all...

You have to let music touch your heart in a way that nothing else ever could (physically speaking). Listen to Jimi or Stevie and get lost in the riffs, listen to Eva or Emmylou and get lost in the lyrics, or simply listen to Mozart or Bach and get lost in yourself....

Music is a healer. Music is always enough.


"Suddenly I'm in, over my head and I can hardly breathe,
Suddenly I know exactly what I did, but I cannot move a thing.
Suddenly I know, exactly what I'de done and what it's gonna mean to me, mean to me."

No comments:

Post a Comment